After winning the tender to increase energy efficiency at Bari Airport, as part of the Inter-Regional Operational Programme 2007-2013 “Renewable energy sources and energy saving”, implemented in agreement with the Ministry of the Environment and Protection of Land and Sea, ENAC (Italian Civil Aviation Authority) and the Regione Puglia, STEAM gave top priority to the following works:
- implementation of thermal insulation for the entire airport terminal roof;
- creation of a roof garden on the existing terraces with an insulation package;
- a screen for the south-facing façade with integrated sunshields and photovoltaic modules;
- implementation of self-supporting green walls acting as a shield, and a ventilated wall on the skylights of the airport terminal;
- automatic ventilation/natural cooling system;
- total replacement all lighting fixtures at the airport terminal with efficient LED light sources;
- a building automation system with integrated management for lighting, climate control and screens.